March 24, 2010

Blog Post #2: wal-mart: vice or virtue?

 Years ago, on my trip throughout the States, it didn’t take me long to notice certain patterns and similarities in the layout of the rural America. Its tiny towns seem to be faceless, streets in these faceless towns seem to be empty, population seems to be indifferent to their own realities, and only the omnipresent Wal-Mart is brightening a mediocre face by a new discount on already discounted products. While some might concentrate attention on the store’s role as the country’s largest private employer and its help to the low-income layer of population with “always low prices”, there have been more and more issues which made local population, authorities, public organizations and store’s own employees very unhappy by Wal-Mart’s impact on communities throughout the whole country. Local businesses file bankruptcy one after another the moment a new Wal-Mart opens its doors in the area, the shoppers are often exposed to the least healthy groceries and lowest quality products, the poor third world country workers manufacture the absolute majority of the goods earning almost nothing, and the last but not least, Wal-Mart’s own employees themselves are enslaved by the company’s most repressive policies.
This is the beginning of my essay, and i think what is good about it, is the fact that i give my own impressions and reflections about Wal-Mart. I might want to dwell deeper to specify the issues  locals have with the company. In my thesis I enumerate who and why in my opinion suffer from the company's policies and draw the attention to the internal problems, shifting here the focus of my essay.
Hope you like it!

and also smth i stumbled at during my research:
excuse the language in comments, it's not mine!
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?p=11629

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. . . I'm not sure what I think of this site. What's your take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, here's my thinking, tho: Is making fun of the people who shop at Wal-Mart for the way they look or calling them "rednecks" really a good way to think helpfully about the issues raised by a Wal-Mart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, people who drive into the store in car are not necessarily the ones who work there, are they?

    ReplyDelete