May 14, 2010

Please share your feedback on my personal statement I wrote to apply for the scholarship

Dear Miss Tannenbaum and my fellow co-students,
Tomorrow is the deadline for filing an application to receive scholarship through LaGuardia. They require you write a 250-word personal statement, explaining why you think you are eligible for financial assistance and how your experianses in life shaped your educational ambitions. Please, give me feedback and help me edit my statement. If you notice spelling/stylistic or other mistakes, please let me know, as I am submitting it TOMORROW :)
Everybody, enjoy the weather and have a good weekend!

 I have always known that I would try my best to attain the highest level of education available. After studying computer linguistics in Minsk State Linguistic University I had to seek asylum in the USA. I was unable to keep a productive state of mind in the oppressive, authoritarian regime of present Belarus.
Throughout my extensive life experience my true and long-term passions proved to be languages, cultures and cross-cultural communications. My ambition is to combine my excellent communication and business management skills with the languages I have learned. (Russian, Belorussian, English, German, and most currently, Spanish.)
In order to accomplish my ambition as a cultural expert in our globalized business world, I need your financial assistance to reach my dream.
It is my second semester in LaGuardia, and I am definitely enjoying my educational experience in a very culturally diverse college in New York. Studying is making me very content. My academic results from the last semester (A, A, A, A-) make me feel so accomplished and proud of myself. The A minus I received last semester is due only to my tardies and absences. I feel the importance of attending classes, but unfortunately I have to provide for myself in a costly metropolis environment. I know that my academic results only suffer from lack of time and energy finding means to financially support myself. If only I could get some financial support, nothing would prevent me from devoting all my passion, time and effort towards academic success.
This semester I am taking five classes, and I realize I can handle extensive coursework. My ultimate goal is to take as many classes as I possibly can in order to graduate soon and start applying my knowledge and skills in my professional development. I have personally suffered from unhealthy political and cultural tendencies in the world, therefore I would really like towards building strong cultural bonds in the present world through establishing productive and mutually beneficial business relationships bettween cultures, countries and continents in the global arena.

3 comments:

  1. Irka - I don't know if this is in time, but great job! You might add something a little more specific about your academic and career goals - are you interested in continuing with computer linguistics? What kind of business do you see yourself working with in the future?

    *And* I want to recruit you for an exciting translating project we have going on at LaGuardia. We're translating a poem by the poet laureate into as many languages as we can for her visit, and we need a Russian group and a German one! Respond or send me an email for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about it - the translation project - and i would like to part take in it, as long as it does not take too much time i need to devote to catch up with all the homeworks. i'd like to do russian vs belorussian translation, as i'm so tired to explain the difference between these two languauges hehe i could help with german, too, but will definitely not be as valuable as a native speaker. Let's talk about this project on Monday after class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Irka -

    Thanks for your note - actually, with the collective translation work, we get groups together with different levels of the same language, and people who are less fluent- or who don't have the target language at all - actually have a valuable role to play. So we'd love to have you in a German one, and also to get a Russian one together. Belorussian might be a challenge to get a group, but if you know some folks to recruit, let me know!

    What days work best for you? We're looking at some Tuesday and Thursday afternoons - what is your schedule?

    ReplyDelete